WGSA announces opportunities for overseas travel in 2009
Travel Opportunities for South African players in 2009.
• Annika Invitational – Bertine Strauss and Connie Chen were selected to play in this inaugural event in Orlando Fl. USA
• Regional All Africa Challenge Trophy – A team of three players will be sent to Swaziland to support this event from 29 May to 4 April to play in this event at the Nkonyeni Golf Club.
• Jakarta World Junior Championships – Two players, one in the 13-14 age group and one in the 15 -17 age group will defend the Governor’s Trophy from 2 – 7 June. It is hoped that two boys from the SAJGF will be included in the team
• Riverwood Dutch Junior Open Championship – Two Under 21 players have been invited to play in this annual event from 15 – 18 July at the Toxandria Golf Club. As no boys are being sent this year, there will be no test match against the Dutch team. WGSA will confirm if it will send 2 girls to this event at the SA Amateur in April. Players would be selected on merit.
• SAAB Junior Belgian Championships – Two Under 21 players, selected on merit, have been invited to participate in this event at Ravenstein, Belgium from 26 – 29 August. Decision whether to send 2 players will be confirmed at the SAAM.
• Turkish Open Amateur Championship – Two players have been invited to this event to be played at the Klassi Golf Club in Istanbul from 3 – 6 September. Last year two players were assisted by WGSA to participate in this tournament which was won by Ashleigh Holmes
• Duke of York Young Champions’ Trophy – The SAJGF has offered this invitation to be presented to the SA Girls’ Champion – the winner of the SA Girls’ Championship at Middelburg in June. The event will be played from 8 – 10 September at the Don Donald Links, Loch Lomond Golf Club’s links course in Ayreshire, Scotland. WGSA thanks the SAJGF for offering this prize to the SA Girl’s Championship
• The Spirit International Amateur Golf Championship – Two players will represent South Africa at this biennial stroke play tournament to be played at Whispering Pines in Texas, USA, from 1 – 8 November. Selection Criteria: The winner of the Sanlam SA Amateur Strokeplay Championship and a second player to be selected on merit. If the SA Amateur Strokeplay Champion is not a South African, then both players will be selected on merit.
• WGSA will look to other opportunities for players to compete overseas to gain international experience.
• Updates will be put on the website.